School District No. 91 (Nechako Lakes) serves more than 5,000 learners in an area that covers approximately 40,000 square kilometers of North-central British Columbia and is the largest single employer in the region. Our district is on the leading edge of technology in providing support to students, teachers and parents. We are striving to develop this region’s most precious resources: our learners.
- “Teachers On Call” are teachers certified by the Teacher Regulation Branch (Ministry of Education).
- “Teacher Replacements” do not have a certificate from the Teacher Regulation Branch.
- The term “Replacement Teacher(s)” is used to refer to both certified and non-certified replacements.
School District No. 91 (Nechako Lakes) requires the services of replacement teachers each school year.The district develops the lists of both certified and uncertified replacment teachers annually, beginning in late August. Individuals may be added to the lists from time to time during the school year. Replacement teachers are called in to replace regular teachers when they are absent. Individual assignments may last from ½ days to a few weeks. However, when a teacher is to be absent for 20 days or more, the position is posted as per the local Teachers’ Collective Agreements. Certified teachers are called before non-certified teachers. Long term assignments are filled by certified replacement teachers. A non-certified teacher will be called upon to fill in for short terms–typically a day at a time
Replacement teachers advise the district about what schools and communities they prefer to work in, what grade levels they feel most comfortable with, and their preference for full or part-time work.
Getting your name on the Teacher Replacement List (certified)
All certified applicants must supply details and documentation of certificate, TQS category and experience and indicate schools and grade preference on the application form. Teachers on Call (TOC’s) who have previously completed the above form and provided the appropriate information must reapply every year. To re-apply, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Human Resources Department at 250-692-7782, our fax number is (250) 692-7145.
Getting your name on the Teacher Replacement List (non-certified)
All applicants must complete a General Application for Employment form. These forms are available on this website, or may be obtained from the School District Office in Vanderhoof, or any school in the District.
When the Replacement Teacher list is created for the school year:
- Individuals interested in being on the list are to forward a written application to Mr. Mike Skinner, Director of Instruction.
- New applicants for the list will go through an interview and selection process.
- Individuals previously on the list will contact the Director of Instruction or designate and request to be placed on the list for the new school year. Those individuals who have not undergone the interview process will be asked to do so.
- All candidates, will be asked to provide two written professional references, (emails are satisfactory), from district administrators in order for their application to be considered.
During the school year the District:
- provides schools and individuals on the list with information regarding the Performance Expectations;
- encourages regular communication between replacement teachers and administrative officers, and between replacement teachers and the regular teachers they serve; and,
- provides assistance to schools and teachers in their work with replacement teachers.