FESL - Career Development
Career Development Data
What does the data tell us?
- A focus on Social Emotional Learning is a key goal within our Strategic Plan. Ensuring that we continue to work around increasing the sense of belonging for every student is important and critical work. We were concerned with student mental health prior to the COVID context and the past 18 months have only exacerbated issues with student mental health across our region.
- Sharing our data with communities and partner agencies will be important in advocating for additional supports for our students.
- Collaborating with our schools to strategize and implement evidence informed ways to increase student belonging will be a priority for the 2021 – 23 school years.
- Supporting schools to ensure they are welcoming to the diversity of learners we serve which includes our LGBTQ2+ and Indigenous learners and their families. This work includes supporting our SOGI school leads and continuing our understanding of decolonization.
- Collaborating with schools to determine how to specifically demonstrate adult caring for all students will be a district wide priority.
- Collaborate with the SD 91 Inclusive Education team to help create a school support workplan specific to increasing students sense of belonging in our schools will be a priority for the 2021 – 22 school year.
- Collaborate with our Student Voice leadership group to hear directly from students as to their thoughts on this data set.
Our response to the data?Continue to strengthen our post-secondary relationships as evidenced by MOUs with the College of New Caledonia, the University of Northern British Columbia, and an anticipated MOU with SFU’s Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology.
- Continue working with UNBC to explore an early entry initiative to provide students with a 2 – 3-year pathway to post-secondary transition beginning in grade 10.
- Partner with our parent and student groups to look at this data and identify specific obstacles to post-secondary transition.
- Share transition data with our high school counsellors to get their thoughts on specific strategies to increase opportunities for post secondary exposure.
- Ask our Careers department to provide an annual workplan specific to introducing students to careers that require post-secondary education and the various pathway options.